My Bio

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Meet My Beach Buddy, Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy


If you go to the beach in Oceanside, California, you probably will see the man who walks along the Strand wearing a long, dark woolen coat. Sometimes he splashes in the water; at other times, he sits on the rocks and lets the water splash him. Over the years, he’s become a well-known beach personality. His picture has appeared in Oceanside publications, including the Osider magazine and the OsideNews.com. Writers have written blog posts about him. And people often take photos or film videos of him and post them on the Internet.

Bruce is a native of California, and he has lived in Oceanside since 1995. He has spent a lot of time at the beach for most of his life. I made his acquaintance on a Facebook group page in March 2015. I commented on a comment he had made about cats. Later, I learned that he was the fellow people call Trench Coat Man.

I’ve always been interested in interesting people, at times incurring my parents’ disapproval. After seeing a few pictures of him that were posted on the group page, I wanted to meet him. I saw him walking either on the beach or on the Strand for a couple of weeks before I got up the courage to approach him and introduce myself. I often tell people I ambushed him.

Over the past year we have become friends. A couple of times a week, we hang out at the beach, where I often use his camera to take photos and film videos of him. He posts both the photos and videos on the Facebook group page and also posts some of the videos on his YouTube channel.

When people ask me about him, I tell them he’s my beach buddy. He has been very kind to me, and I enjoy his company.

He may be considered a bit eccentric, but he’s also a very nice, humble, intelligent man who enjoys talking to people and making new friends. He’s not homeless, as people often assume. He has a home, a 1931 Model A Ford, and three sweet cats.

He has no intention of ending it all, either. But that’s what some individuals, mostly tourists, think he has in mind when they first see him sitting on the rocks or walking into the water. Sometimes concerned tourists talk to him or to the lifeguards instead of making assumptions. Sometimes tourists try to rescue him. Sometimes they just call 9-1-1. The lifeguards and the police officers stationed on the Strand know him well. When asked about him, they usually say “That’s Bruce. He's here every day. He’s okay.”

Oceanside residents like him and are respectful of him. Beachgoers enjoy talking with him on the Strand. People look forward to seeing the photos and videos he posts on the group page and on his YouTube channel, Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy.

He has his reasons for wearing a trench coat. One of them is that hanging out at the beach so often puts him at risk for serious skin cancer. His doctor told him either to cover up or to stop hanging out at the beach. He doesn't like wetsuits, but he did have a long, black, woolen coat available.

You can ask him about his other reasons. Google Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy and go to his YouTube channel. Or talk to him when you’re at the beach. Bruce likes meeting new friends, in person and online.












 

3 comments:

  1. First, that's a great picture. I loved this article. There are undercurrents of mystery in this story and your friendship with Bruce. I'm glad you two enjoy each other's company and hang out together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Judith Anne, Kathy Bennett has it right in her comment. Love the Trench Coat Guy post. And the picture you took of him - in blown-up mode - is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments, Kathy and Grier.

    ReplyDelete