My Bio

Monday, August 22, 2016

Excerpt From Adventures in Working (a work in progress)


When I was seventeen, I got the bright idea to get a job.
A new discount department store had opened in the city where I went to high school. Although I had never worked before, I figured I could get a job doing something there. I planned to save money, buy a car, and get my ex-boyfriend back.
He liked cars.
Unfortunately, things didn’t work out as planned.
For one thing, being a student, I most likely would have had to work evenings. And, oh yeah, I didn’t have a driver’s license. And the buses stopped traveling through our small town after 6 p.m. Even if I had been hired and was able to find transportation to and from work, I never would have been able to save enough money to buy a car.
And my boyfriend wouldn’t be coming back, either. He already was back with the girl he had been dating since what seemed like the beginning of time. She had a job—and a car.
So I forgot about going to work until I was twenty.




No comments:

Post a Comment