My Bio

Sunday, June 15, 2008

South Dakota is Where?

While thumbing through a style book for writers recently, I learned that Popsicle is a trademarked word. The generic term is ice on a stick. As a child, I would have defined it as ice that falls off a stick.

I also learned the meaning of the words starboard and port, which I knew were nautical terms, but could never figure out which was which. Good thing to know if I’m ever facing forward on a ship. Starboard is right, port is left. At least I think that’s right.

Unfortunately, I found quite a few typos in this edition. And, looking at a time-zone map of the United States, I discovered that South Dakota apparently is north of North Dakota.

Where have all the proofreaders gone? Probably to the unemployment office.

No comments:

Post a Comment